At the time of writing (please ask on the mailinglist if you need an update of this page) the recommended compilers to use are GCC 4.9.1, 4.8.2, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, or 4.6.3.
- 4.7.0 should be avoided. Vc contains workarounds, though, but application code should use the "-fno-predictive-commoning" flag. (pr52736, pr52754).
- 4.7.1 works well.
- 4.x - 4.7.2 have a bug that will probably not affect anybody (pr54703)
- 4.6.0 and 4.6.1 should be avoided. (pr48616, pr49133, pr48678)
- All versions from 4.6.2 up are good enough, but also have a latent bug (Vc contains a workaround) that will be fixed in 4.6.4 (pr52736)
- 4.5.0 and 4.5.1 should be avoided. (pr45267, pr46723)
- 4.5.2 should be avoided for AVX. (pr47840)
- 4.5.3 and up should be good.
- should be avoided altogether (pr40141)
GCC without usable SIMD support¶
Starting with GCC version 4.3 the SEE+SSE2 intrinsics are complete enough to be usable for Vc. Thus all GCC versions before 4.3 will resort to the scalar Vc implementation.